Everglades National Park
A collaborative effort by the National Park Service South Florida Natural Resources Center at Everglades National Park, the CRMS, and the South Florida Water Management District has produced a seamless and complete GIS vegetation database of the southern Everglades using color-infrared (CIR) aerial photographs and a single vegetation classification system.
This database contains spatial data for vegetation communities within approximately 1.2 million hectares of South Florida’s wetlands, including Everglades National Park, Big Cypress National Preserve, Biscayne National Park, the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge, and the South Florida Water Management District Water Conservation Area 3.
This detailed delineation of vegetation in the preserved lands of south Florida allows for the first time a quantitative analysis of Everglades vegetation data at the plant community level.
The entire GIS database and associated metadata for this project are maintained by Florida International University (FIU) under contract to the National Park Service. Download the entire Everglades/Big Cypress/Biscayne database from their website.
References and related publications
- Welch, R., M. Madden, and R. F. Doren, 2002. Maps and GIS databases for environmental studies of the Everglades , Chapter 9. In, J. Porter and K. Porter (Eds.) The Everglades , Florida Bay and Coral Reefs of the Florida Keys : An Ecosystem Sourcebook, CRC Press, Boca Raton , Florida : 259-279.
- Madden, M. D. Jones and L. Vilchek, 1999. Photointerpretation key for the Everglades Vegetation Classification System, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 65(2): 171-177.
- Welch, R., Madden, M. and R. Doren, 1999. Mapping the Everglades, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 65(2): 163-170.
- Welch, R., M. Madden, R. Doren and K. Rutchey (Eds.) 1999. Mapping Vegetation in the Everglades, Special Issue, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 65, No. 2.
- Welch, R. and M. Remillard, 1997. Interfacing multimedia with GIS for database visualization, International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 32, Part 3-4W2: 203.
- Welch, R. and M. Remillard (Eds.) 1996. ISPRS Commission IV: Mapping and Geographic Information Systems, Special Issue, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 4.
- Welch, R. and M. Remillard, 1996. GPS, photogrammetry and GIS for resource mapping applications, In, (Clifford W. Greve, Ed.) Digital Photogrammetry: An Addendum to the Manual of Photogrammetry, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Bethesda, MD: 183-194.